Membership in COEO includes the following benefits:
1) Pathways, The Ontario Journal of Outdoor Education:
Our widely respected quarterly professional journal features a variety of articles relating to current programs, issues & trends in OEE (outdoor & experiential education).
2) Electronic newsletter, approximately once a month:
This has now become a very effective way of keeping members up-to-date with news of upcoming events, outdoor education job postings (an exclusive membership benefit) and other related news.
3) Annual Conference:
Our annual fall conference continues to be our major gathering of the year. It is a marvellous opportunity for professional development, invigoration, and affirmation with kindred spirits.
4) Regional Workshops:
COEO occasionally teams up with recognized providers to offer courses in wilderness first aid (with certification), hazardous tree management and other outdoor education-related topics.
5) Proactive Promotion of OEE:
COEO is your voice for outdoor & experiential education in Ontario. Its efforts to raise the profile of this unique and powerful learning methodology include:
- A constantly updated web site with plans for further growth
- A promotional poster,
- 2007 publication of Reconnecting Children Through Outdoor Education, a comprehensive and highly acclaimed summary of the current and international research into the great and lasting values of OEE,
- A higher profile public voice for OEE (e.g., interviews on CBC radio & television as well as TV Ontario, op eds in the Globe & Mail and the Toronto Star as well as articles in other papers
- Increased collaboration with other related organizations including The Ontario Teachers Curriculum Forum, The Ontario Camping Association, the Ontario Physical and Health Education Association (OPHEA), Environmental Education Ontario (EEON), and the Canadian Network for Environmental Education and Communication (EECOM).
6) Strength in Numbers:
By being a member of COEO, you add your much-needed support and voice to all the worthwhile activities listed above. Over the past few years, COEO’s membership numbers have steadily increased and we hope to continue to this trend. Your continued support of our volunteer-based organization really does make a difference!
*Being a COEO member means that you are part of a strong and active community dedicated to promoting and celebrating the value of outdoor and experiential education.
The COEO membership year extends from September 1st to August 31st.
Download a printable COEO Membership Application form by clicking here or use PayPal to purchase your membership online.